problem with Xwindows on Power Mac 9600/200

I recently purchased a Power Mac 9600/200 off eBay to install Linux on. It came with an ATI XCLAIM video card and 128MB of RAM. I can get Debian to install just fine, but when I try to startx, the screen goes blank for several seconds, and then exits to a command prompt. The message given displays an error code of 11. I realize this isn't the best information, but I am hoping someone who has had this problem could give me some quick pointers, thanks in advance,