Re: Need Configuration help for 3.0r2 on Rev A iMac

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Dave Turner wrote:

> It has been hard work but I now have a Rev A iMac dual-booting MacOS9
> and Debian 3.0r2. I am using the 2.4.18-newpmac kernel. I have not
> installed X windows. I have searched the mail archives and read many
> emails, some helped (which is why I have a working system), and some
> went right over my head...
>
> The current list of problems is:-
>
> 1) CTRL-ALT-DEL causes system reboot. I have to type "shutdown -h now".

man inittab

> 3) I did have X windows working, but there was no way I could shut the
> system down.

Several possibilities:

1) issue the "shutdown -h now" command as root.
2) use the system menu of KDM or GDM to issue the shutdown.

> How do I setup X windows so that I can type "startx" or "initx" at the
> prompt? I do NOT want X starting automatically.

Just avoid installing GDM/KDM/XDM.

> How do I set it up so that I can shutdown X and get back to the prompt
> so I can shut the system down?

You need a way to exit your window manager's session.  That should return you to
the command prompt.

> 4) how do I set up "sudo" so I can login as me and install stuff without
> logging out and going back in as root?

man sudoers

> 5) Should I be using a later 2.4 or 2.6 kernel? I have no signs of the
> display problems reported by other CRT iMac users.

The 2.4 kernels are just fine.  Here, I use a 2.6 kernel on an iMac CRT rev.D.
You would need the module-init-tools and other 2.6 goodies from Sarge to use it
though.  If that's not a problem for you, try the kernel at:

http://funkyware.konflux.at/

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/