Re: Serial and ALSA Problems in vanilla 2.6.3 (Powermac 8500-AWACS)

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:43, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 08:40, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:48:47AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > >
> > > XMMS is known to be broken, in particular its ALSA plugin.
> >
> > This is fixed in beep-media-player though.
>
> Good.

And it is also fixed in xmms alsa 1.2.9-pre1 output plugin, for quiet a
while now.

> > It is even the only program who does ALSA native correctly for me.
> > Totem/xine does not (little ticks),
>
> Actually, that may be due to ALSA bugs which have been fixed in 1.0.3.
> According to ALSA developers, Xine is the media player having the best
> ALSA support.

actually xine stutters in every second time I try to play sound using
alsa (the same as mplayer...).

> > XmmS not without tuning, mplayer-g4 not (terrible result), etc.
>
> Don't get me started on mplayer... ;) It works kinda OK via SDL though.

really ? using alsa ?

> > Funny that the OSS via Alsa is working ok, with sometimes some short
> > periods of loud static in between though.
>
> OSS has been around for much longer; many apps still aren't using the
> ALSA API 100% correctly. The ones I care about have been progressing
> nicely though, probably just a matter of time. Overall, ALSA is already
> working much better for me.

Wow. I wish I could say that too. Although I followed your tutorial on
how to get dmix running (which actually works perfect when I only need
to use alsa apps) quiet a lot does not work:

starting esd segfaults:

$ AUDIODEV=default esd
Segmentation fault

mplayer/xine/totem all don't work with alsa... only alsaplayer and xmms
work ok.

mixerwise one cannot turn on maximum volume as sounds get distorted...

But well yes it works in oss emulation pretty stable (with mplayer/xine
etc).

Soeren.