Re: Need to Install Benh iMac Kernel -- But How?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:05:12PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Yeah, removed cpufreq and powerbook support for now.
> >
> > BTW, you don't recommend it, but would it still be ok for using
> > debian-installer ?
> >
> > The idea is to do the initial installation with 2.4, as there is not yet
> > framework for 2.6 kernels, and then, in stage 2 of the installation,
> > install a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, user choice.
>
> I never had any problem installing with a 2.6 kernel ;)
>
> (Using old installer, installing woody minimal first, then upgrading
> to sid)

Ah, but the problem is that the modules are on the initrd, and thus you
need to use a initrd tailored to your kernel, or all hell will break
lose in the installation. Furthermore, d-i is currently not yet 2.6
friendly, so 2.4.25 will have to do for now for the install.

> > Anyway, now that i have the 2.4.25 package out, i will be doing a 2.6.3
> > kernel.
> >
> > BTW, i only built a SMP version of the -power4 kernel. Do you think this
> > is ok, as i believe most power4 boxes are/will be SMP ones. How big is
> > the performance hit on single processor using the SMP kernel ?
>
> I haven't measured, it's probably significant though. There are some
> UP G5s, I don't know how many of those though.

Ok, i can always build a UP config then, but if i also do the same for
power3 (you told me that it would maybe not run at all, right), this
would mean 7 configs building in total, and for 1 hour per config build ...

> > /me wonders if i could get a fast G5 box sponsored, since it took me
> > two damn days to get these kernels built on my 1GHz G4 :).
>
> Dunno :)

:))

Friendly,

Sven Luther