Re: Pointers for a ppc newbie?

howdy,
  i just did the same thing (onto a powerbook) last week.  to burn isos on
macos, you need toast deluxe, or some other nice piece of expensive
software.  i've searched all over versiontracker for free/shareware, and no
can find.  your best bet is burning an iso on your dell.
  i would strongly suggest the netinst route.  you can just get a small iso
about 200mb, to boot your imac with, and it will boot you into the
installer.  you then select the packages you want through dselect, so you
only download the stuff you want.
  by the way, i strongly suggest sarge, the testing version... it seems
quite stable, and is generally much better and up to date than woody, the
"stable" version.
  on your dell, download this iso, and burn it to a disc.
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/powerpc/beta2/sarge-powerp
c-netinst.iso

  it should boot on the imac, and put you right into the installer.  good
luck!
-jim altieri