anyone ever hooked a dumb terminal up to a NewWorld PowerMac?

Hi folks,

I have a DEC VT520 in good working condition that I had working as dumb
terminal with my x86 box, back when I had a working x86 box, over a year
ago.

There are HOWTOs and stuff aplenty, but no one appears to have
documented how to get a dumb terminal connected up using only USB.

I have the following hardware:

1) Blue & White G3 Power Macintosh
2) Silitek IBM USB HUB KEYBOARD on usb1:3.0
3) I/O Gear GUC232A USB-to-serial (9-pin male) adapter
4) 9-pin female to 25-pin male serial cable
5) 25-pin gender changer
6) 25-pin null modem
7) DEC VT520 dumb terminal

The kernel can see the USB-to-serial adapter when I plug it into the
keyboard:

Mar  2 20:48:50 redwald kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:06.0-1.3, assigned address 6
Mar  2 20:48:50 redwald kernel: usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x557/0x2008) is not claimed by any active driver.

I load the usbserial module accordingly:

# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x557 product=0x2008

But now I'm stuck.  I can't use setserial or statserial on /dev/ttyUSB0,
which I guess is where the terminal is supposed to show up.  I can cat
to and from /dev/ttyUSB0, but nothing happens.

I would appreciate advice on where to go from here: diagnostics
appreciated, and step-by-step instructions for doofuses like me are also
quite welcome!

Any further questions about my setup, just ask.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      There's no trick to being a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      humorist when you have the whole