Re: iBook screen cloning.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

The Rage 128 M3 ? (There are a bunch of different chips called "Rage")

So far, nothing is implemented by Owen's hack for M3s.
According to lspci, it is an ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
       00:10.0 VGA compatible controller:
       Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
Flags: bus master, stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 255, IRQ 48
       Memory at 94000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
       I/O ports at 802400 [size=256]
       Memory at 90000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
       Expansion ROM at 90020000 [disabled] [size=128K]
       Capabilities: [50] AGP version 2.0
       Capabilities: [5c] Power Management version 2

The documentation of the device (and the software under MacOS X) declare it has 8Mo vram.
That's the more I can say about the graphic card. :o)

For mirroring, I also has tried m3mirror.

The results are as following (three possibilities).

* If I plug the external screen before booting (with no argument to the kernel), I can see the yaboot console menu on the crt and the lcd. Then, the crt becomes black during processes are launched. Then I launch m3mirror by hand. The virtual consoles looks ok on both screens. But the graphical interface (X11) resolution doesn't on the external screen. And it seems impossible to fit.

* If I (still) plug before booting, but with kernel arguments in the yaboot configuration file, the non-graphic yaboot menu appears good on the internal lcd _and_ on the externel screen. Both screens render a good way during lauching processes. When Gnome ask the password, the lcd show the usual frontend while external screen look just like xwindow with no (gnome or kde) environement.

* Third possibilities, I "hotplug" the external screen. So I first start the computer. After x window had started, I plug the crt and enter the " m3mirror lcd:0 crt:1 " command : the result is better (the size looks good) but it is wavy (the audience of such a display will turn sick) ;-) The "waves" affect the virtual consoles _and_ the graphic mode (but on the external screen only). Changing frequency of the screen (by editing XF86 and re-lauching x, or with xvidtune) just change the portion of the cloned screen... but the waves remain (their size change with the configuration).

Lukas Hey (who contacts me this afternoon - thanks) appears to have better results with the same card, and a comparable XF86 configuration. So I don't know where my problem can come from.

I join my XF config file, just in case.
If you have any idea, don't hesitate to post it.

Thank you for the help
Christophe

--
Christophe Lejeune
ULG   >>>  http://www.smess.egss.ulg.ac.be/lejeune/

# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xfree86
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 > /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Section "Files"
#	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"dga"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"macintosh"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"fr"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"r128"
#	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:0:16:0"
# Ajout - test projecteur
#	Option          "Monitor"               "CRT"
	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
#	Option		"CloneDisplay"		"1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync	30-60
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

# Ajout - test projecteur
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Projecteur"
	HorizSync	30-70
	VertRefresh	50-160
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection
#

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"CRT"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Projecteur"
	DefaultDepth	8
#	Option		"NoAccel"
	Option		"Monitor"	"CRT"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1024x768"
	#	Virtual		1024 768

	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	#	Virtual		1024 768

	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

	#	Virtual		1024 768

	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

#		Virtual		1024 768

	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768"
#		Virtual		1024 768

	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#		Virtual		1024 768
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
#
	Screen		"Default Screen"
# Enlever le diese pour passer en mode Projecteur ou ecran externe
#	Screen		"CRT" LeftOf "Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Externe"
#
	Screen		"CRT"
# Enlever le diese pour passer en mode Projecteur ou ecran externe
#	Screen		"CRT" LeftOf "Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
EndSection