Re: CUPS 1.1.20final-14 is a kernel 2.6 killer on PPC

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 00:52, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > I'm on an iMac CRT (rev.D, 333MHz).
> >
> > Today's CUPS upgrade in Sarge manages to kill kernels upon loading:

> > 1) Why do I get this timeout on IrDA port, even though this hardware has none?
> > 2) How could trying to access the port manage to crash 2.6.3?
>
> There is something wrong, we don't know exactly what yet. Upon boot,
> cups tries to do something to the serial ports (they may not have
> connectors, but the SCCs are present in all Mac models). That turns
> into the lockup you experienced. It's not 100% reproduceable though,
> so I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

Thanks for the explanation.

> We "fixed" it on Linus G5 by not building the pmac_zilog serial
> driver in the kernel, but of course, that's not a good long term solution.

Here, I ended up building pmac_zilog as a module, since I don't have any IrDA
port and I (currently) don't need the built-in modem either.  However, as you
said yourself, it's not a good long-term solution.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/