Re: iMac things

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 05:54, Iain Georgeson wrote:
> I've just slapped Woody on a crusty old iMac. I've got most of it up,
> but I've got a couple of issues with it left:
>
> The power button. It currently does nothing. How do I trap it? (My
> lusers are unable to cope with the concept of shutting down, so it has
> been on the receiving end of some not-so-gentle power-offs.) It would
> be quite handy to do suspends too. Problem is, I have no idea what
> packages to use, or how it all works.

I think we get a PMU message from the button, but I don't know
for sure. I don't have an iMac to test. You can try reading
/dev/pmu and see if you get anything relevant

> apmd thinks it's on battery power (and so anacron won't fire on
> bootup).

Dunno how it figures that out ...

> I'd like to be able to wake-it-on-LAN (from off or suspend). I assume
> that's just an OpenFirmware setting. (Can OpenFirmware change the
> on-chime to a penguin squawk or something?)

Wake-On-Lan is possible with the proper support in the sungem
driver, but that's for sleep mode, and I didn't implement support
for sleep mode on those machines at this point. Actually, it may
work though :)

> Does this thing support DRI and GL? (I don't understand DRI much at
> the best of times). The display controller is an ATI Technologies Inc
> Rage 128 RL according to lspci.
>
> I'm adding a few extra packages:
>
> mplayer points out that most of it's additional (dll) codecs are i386
> only. I'm resigned to just doing without, unless you can come up with
> something.
>
> The biggie: OpenOffice. I can't find a ppc woody backport anywhere. Is
> there one?

You really want testing or woody :)

Ben.