radeon fb and 16 bit colors ...

Hi List,

yet another problem ... but first, my system and configuration
TiBook with Radeon 9000
Linux Kernel v2.6.2-ben1
<*>   ATI Radeon display support (New driver)
[*]     DDC/I2C for ATI Radeon support

fbset says 120x854 at 8 bit after bootup ...

Ok, to get to the point, i want to change my framebuffer screen to 16
bit depth, because i want to play around with bootsplash.

$ fbset -depth 16

The framebuffer changes to 16 bit, but there are strange colors on
the screen, and if I want to use the tool of bootsplash to play mng
animations, the animation is displayed in funny colors.
I can also see "depth not supported" many times on the screen in a
small font size and in green color ...

this says me that the framebuffer thinks it is 16 bit (btw. the playmng
tool checkes that and loads the image only in 16 bit mode) but can´t
display it correctly.

I have googled around and found some postings on the kernel ml.
There were patches, but were they included in recent benh kernels?
or are these patched only for the old readonfb driver?

does anyone out there get 16 bit on the radeonfb framebuffer... ?

btw. when i switch from x to framebuffer do an fbset -depth 16, go back
to x and switch back to console again, the screen depth is back at 8 bit.
is this correct, shouldn´t the depth be what i had set before?

thanks in advance for any comments / help you can give me...

Michael