Re: Installer for power4 and power5 systems

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 10:49:32AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since I had access for some power4 and power5 System the last time and
> noticed that
> the debian installer didn't work on this hardware (a 64bit kernel seems
> to be needed),
> I did some integration on this and added a "pseries" target to the
> debian installer including
> the 64 bit kernel and a ready to use installer image.

Why won't the 32bit power4 kernels boot on these machines ? They should, only
the iseries really need a 64bit kernel.

> Sure, these power machines are not that common hardware for joe user,
> but after
> IBM started the openpower initiative its good for debian to support
> these machines, too. I
> personally like to contribute this stuff, so that other people can use
> it, too.
>
> Anyway the installer is not perfect yet. Perhaps someone on the list
> can give some quick
> hints in order to save lot of time for me:
>
> * The partitioner needs to support (pseudo or whatever) the creation of
> a PPC PReP boot
>    partition, or just check for its existence, since it is needed for
> booting. Where to set the
>    dependencies? What packages to create and/or modify?

Fixed in latest parted uploads. partman-prep needs to be written, you are
welcome to do this.

> * yaboot may be used to install to the PPC PReP boot partition. Same
> like above. I didn't
>    find a place where the depencies are set...

This should be fixed, at least i think Colin Watson uploaded a fixed version
of this one lately.

Friendly,

Sven Luther