multi-function PCI cards + 2.6.x framebuffers

Hey Folks,

Questions about my 8500 running Debian testing:

My 8500 currently has an ATI Rage Pro (64 bit) video card, a Firmtek
SATA card and a TI firewire card.  All have been working well under a
2.4.27 kernel from kernel.org (the only "non-standard" portion of my
installation).  Other parts of my setup: G3 375 MHz card, 1 GB RAM,
an IBM SCSI HD with Mac OS to boot the machine and a backup of my
installed system, and a Western Digital 36 G 10K RPM SATA drive with
my Debian "testing" installation.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to change the TI firewire card to a combo
USB-Firewire card.  Added all the modules to support USB and all the
functions on it I would need, but I ran into some issues.  I use the
firewire functions to backup my work, and I do a check by running a
recursive diff on the backup and original.  With the multi-function
card, I get differences in files that I have not touched in weeks,
and the differing files vary from check-to-check ...  I even tried
another brand of multi-function cards, but the results were the same.
And the integrity of the data was verified against a third copy on
another machine, as well as putting back the original 1394-only card
back in, and checking again.

I've tried moving cards around in various slots, etc, but to no avail.
The multi-function card does not seem to work.  I did notice one thing
when I ran lspci - it seemed the card created a 3rd PCI bus, on which
was the firewire and USB devices. Normally, I just have busses '0' for
the devices in the PCI slots and '1' for the motherboard devices. With
the multi-function card, lspci showed bus '2' also.  Is there another
special option I need to enable in my kernel .config file, or am I SOL
with the multi-function cards ?

I wanted to see if a 2.6 kernel would help, so I grabbed 2.6.9 (again
from kernel.org) but I lost the console video during bootup.  Is there
an issue with PPC framebuffers?  If so, I'd be willing to help program
and debug those, as I have 2 video chips on this mac I'd love to help
get working (better).

"I can't understand people who hate other people based on things like race,
 religion, or sexual orientation.  When you really do get to know a person,
 aren't there so many more worthwhile reasons for despising them ?"

                                        Dennis Miller