hwclock can't access /dev/rtc!

Dear List!

after recompiling my working 2.6.8 kernel on my pismo i get:

pismo# hwclock
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.

with the new kernel AND the old one. So i have to set the time/date manually every startup. Could this be bc of some devfs issue (which i am running)? After booting the new kernel for the first time, the date/time was correct, but as i was trying to put the computer into sleep mode, it crashed, better to say, it shut down immediately.

I need help here, this is Debian Testing with 2.6.8.

regards, Peter Plessas