Re: Debian 3.0.23 on 43P-150

I have the same configuration as Johan (IBM 43P-150, a true CHRP one).

I burned the netinst.iso as suggested and tried to boot it ( OF>boot cdrom)

OF says "unrecognized Client program format state not valid"....

should it be a bug to report ?

Friendly

Felipe.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 11:32:08AM +0100, Johan Barne wrote:
> Dear Sven!
>
> I am a linux newbie that's trying to install Debian on my IBM 43P-150
> CHRP box. I have tried to install Mandrake 9.1 with no success and
> thought I give Debian a try. It feels that I have read everything on the
> internet without finding a way to install.

Well, debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org, cced to me maybe, would have been more
usefull.

> I am really sorry to take up your time but judging by your posting on
> debian email list you seems like a good person to ask.

Yeah, well, i have interest, but not hand-down access to the hardware, so ...

> Q1: I trying to do a floppy install. I just can not find a boot image.
> On the iso CD:s and on
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/3.0.23-2002-0

Forget woody, it may work but we are not going to fix stuff on it at this
time. Try the new rc2 debian/sarge installer from :

If my memory servers me right, your box is a chrp one, (the 43P-140 being a
prep still, exact ?), so it should be able to boot using yaboot from the
netinst cdrom :

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/powerpc/rc2/sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso

or netboot image from :

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/images/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-chrp.initrd

Floppy boot is not currently supported on IBM chrp-rs6k boxes right now, you
are welcome to add support for it though :)

> 5-21/chrp/images-1.44 are only root.img, rescue.img and driver-z.img but
> no boot image. I found something on your section like
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/power3/2.4.25-2/vmlinuz-2.4.25-power3-c
> hrp-rs6k but that is just to big to fit on a floppy.

Well, your box is not a power3 one, but a powerpc one, so you would use the
above mentioned stuff. I should remove the above link.

> Q2: If and when I find the proper boot image, what booting arguments in
> OP should I use?

Don't really know, i am not familiar with ibm's OF implementation, but as far
as i know, the netinst or businesscard isos should just work, and autoboot
into yaboot, which provides you some basic instructions. IF not, then this is
a bug, and you should fill a bug report against debian-installer.

> As mentioned I have a 43P-150 and I have no problem coming to the
> OperFirmware prompt.

Ok.

> I would really appreciate just a pointer in the right directions.

Hope this helps, taking the conversation to debian-powerpc and debian-boot.

Friendly,

Sven Luther