Re: X.org

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 17:28 +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 the mental interface of
> Elimar Riesebieter told:
>
> > I want to report sucessfull install of X.org on my PowerBook5,2:
> >
> > Stolen From Ubuntu.
> >
> > - Caught sources xorg, render and xrender from
> >   http://archive/ubuntu/pool/main
> > - debuild and installed the binaries
> > - Caught sources xcompmgr and transset from
> >   http://archive/ubuntu/pool/universe
> > - debuild and installed the binaries.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this. Why didn't you just install the
binaries though? :)

deb http://<mirror>/ubuntu hoary main multiverse restricted universe

I also have

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 102

Package: *
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 101

in /etc/apt/preferences to prevent Ubuntu from taking over my system. ;)

> > Running xcompmgr (shadows) with transset (real translucency) eates
> > the cpu :-(
>
> Transset is running well if RenderAcces could be enabled in the Device
> section. This feature isn't avilable to Radeons 9[5-8]00 yet :(

Translucent windows would still be mostly unusable even with that due to
shortcomings in XAA. What really keeps me from using Composite at this
point though is that it tends to crash the X server here even without a
compositing manager running and that it's not integrated with GLX yet.