Go5200 and external VGA status?

System: PowerBook 1.33GHz G4 12" nVIDIA Go5200 64MB

From the list archives, I gather VGA out (with the DVI port + adapter) for this system is not supported under Linux.

This is currently the only roadblock for me running Debian on this machine for regular use. After some initial enthusiasm over everything I needed working under Linux, I am currently back to OS X.

What are the possibilities of this being supported in the future? Is there any work underway on adding support? Is there anything in need of testing which would benefit this development?

If not, if you were going to try to add support, where would you start?

Google suggests this video card is an option in the Dell Inspiron 5150 and 8600 laptops. But I can find no reference to support for VGA out with the free nv driver.

I understanding that the video card is soldered to the motherboard, so substituting a better supported card is not an option.

I am subscribed to the list, so there is no need to CC.

Thanks!

dircha