Re: jdk for ppc

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:
> but, whenever i try to run any java program, i get at some point an
> 'illegal hardware instruction' error (plus a java core file). for
> instance, if i run policytool (which comes with the jdk):

I remember reading something about how the IBM jdk uses some POWER ISA instead
of PowerPC. The Gentoo ebuild has this code:

        if use ppc; then
                dosed s:/proc/cpuinfo:/etc//cpuinfo:g /opt/${P}/jre/bin/libjitc.so
                dosed s:/proc/cpuinfo:/etc//cpuinfo:g /opt/${P}/jre/bin/libjitc_g.so
                insinto /etc
                doins ${FILESDIR}/cpuinfo
        fi

Which hacks the .so files to look at /etc/cpuinfo to get the cpu type, then
/etc/cpuinfo contains simply the line:

cpu		: 604e

I imagine that the two forward-slashes in the sed expression is so that the
replacement string is the same length as the original.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

John