error IO in /tmp

Hi to everyone,

I'm running sid on a ibook G4 white.

After today's update my user doesn't have access to /tmp,
so I can't run either mutt or firefox anymore :-(
I can run them as root without problems.
Moreover I've just found a  temporary "solution" (bleah) by
writing in the file /etc/profile the line:
export TMPDIR=~

I'd like to know if there is a cleaner solution.
What kind of debugginig should I do?

TIA

Giovanni

Tiscali Adsl 2 Mega Free: naviga gratis tutto l'anno!
Supera tutti i limiti di velocita' con Tiscali Adsl 2 Mega Free.
Sei libero da costi fissi e, se ti abboni entro il 25 novembre,
navighi gratis fino al 31 dicembre 2004 e non paghi il costo di adesione.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/