Re: update: DVD play back on G3 iBook - improving

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 11:10 -0700, Jon Cortelyou wrote:
> Good news on the DVD play back issues I was having with my iBook
> running Ubuntu Linux v4.10.
>
> First I have to type:  hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
> this turns on UDMA2 for my DVD-ROM
> Where would I put this command so it is done automatically at boot up?

It should be done automatically at boot, I suspect something is
switching DMA off, that happens with some errors, which is imho a bug in
the ide-cd layer of the kernel. If you can identify what command exactly
is causing it to be turned off, let me know.

> I'm getting a 'popping/clicking' sound when the DVD plays loud sounds.
> The popping occurs over the iBook's speakers and via headphones.  I
> tried adjusting the volume but even at low volume I hear
> audible popping.  It seems like the audio is clipping.  It happens at
> all volume levels.  gxine and xine-ui both have this problem.  I'm
> using the ALSA sound modules that (I think) emulates OSS?

Tried disabling DRC ?