Re: pbbuttonsd and laptop-mode start sequence

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:23:04 +0200, Johannes Mockenhaupt
<news.malik@gmx.net> wrote:

> AFAIK pbbuttonsd still uses it's own version of laptop-mode (see
> /etc/power/pmcs-config), pbuttonsd uses scripts and configs files from
> /etc/power, it's actually another little init-script like system, with ac
> connected/battery mode instead of runlevels. Check out the README in that
> dir to learn how pbbuttonsd does stuff.

Thank you for the hint. I had already been using the powerprefs gui to
look at those settings but now I understand what they're doing. I set
up "custom" settings, and they work, but they revert to the default
behavior on restart.

> I think pbbuttonsd overrides those setting, try setting the variable
> *HDTimeOff in /etc/power/pmcs-config/ for the hdparm -S value.

That was another confusing thing -- pbbuttonsd says it uses values in
seconds and hdparm apparently uses a different factor (5x seconds). I
think I understand what's happening now.

> > Furthermore, I have apm_emu in /etc/modules and lsmod says something
> > is using it, though I was under the impression that pbbuttonsd does
> > not need it. What is using it?
>
> Pbuttonsd doesn't need apm emulation, maybe some (gnome) dock panel uses
> it, try fuser/lsof on the file to see which process uses it.

I stopped loading apm_emu and so far no app has complained.

Thank you for your advice!