Re: install (boot) problem sarge powerbook G3 (wallstreet)

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 10:17, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I'm not sure what the problem with quik is, actually.  I've avoided
> > using it because it requires messing with Open Firmware. The

> > to me, it just doesn't seem worth while spending the time on it
> > given that BootX works so well for me.
> >
> > The Debian developers use quik (and avoid miboot and BootX) for
>
> I don't know about bootx, but the main problem with miboot apart from the boot
> sector which needs to be reverse engineered and cleanly reimplemented, is that
> you cannot compile miboot with a free toolchain on linux, and you need an
> oldish version of codewarrior running on powermac.
>
> Nobody has really stepped up to help on either of those, despite my call for
> help on this since almost a year or so.

Hi Sven,

Sorry I can't help here, 'cause though I'm reasonably comfortable on
Linux now, I'm not a programmer so really wouldn't know where to start.
Apart from that, I really like the Idea of getting quik to work, 'cause
that is as far as I can see a real boot loader, not a mac partition with
a mac bootloader passing things on to Linux.

I haven't had the time to play with this lately so I'm using my system
with bootx at the moment. Though I don't really like this aproach,
sometimes you just have to choose for what works.

As soon as I get things working, I'll leave a message here.

Greetz,
Seb.