Re: got quik working with OldWorld G3 Beige 233MHz

I already have to correct my last post. I found this in dmesg:
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing
disabled
IN from bad port 3f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 3f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 3f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2f9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 3e9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 3e9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 3e9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2e9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2e9 at c0103aac
IN from bad port 2e9 at c0103aac
pmac_zilog: 0.6 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>)
pmac_zilog: Error registering serial device, disabling pmac_zilog.
pmac_zilog: Did another serial driver already claim the minors?

instead of:
serial8250_init: nothing to do on PowerMac
in the patched kernel dmesg.
I guess the kernel-patches-powerpc-2.6.8 at least save dmesg lines! Ha!

That's what I get for posting before at least a quick check, sorry.

Another OF/scsi quirk:
I entered "nvsetenv auto-boot? true" and changed to "timeout=0" in
quik.conf to check if Sarge will start without stopping in OF. It works
on the ide box, but not the scsi. I got the familiar "Can't OPEN" OF
error. I recalled that at penquinppc.org was something concerning disks
not getting a chance to spin up with just "boot" as the boot command, so

I changed it to the suggested with
"setenv boot-command begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again",
dirty-downed it, and typed in boot at ok >. "Can't OPEN" What?!

I changed it back to "boot", typed "boot", and it booted after the
message "SCSI BUS Reset" or something. Then I played, shutting down,
rebooting, etc., and I can't yet tell whether it's time-related or I
have to enter "boot" at least twice.

There's one for ya.

Regards,
Duane