Re: TiBook 550 - Hard system freeze, black screen on wake

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 14:38 +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:13:41AM +0900, sean wrote:
> > I hear the disk spin up, but nothing else -- just a black screen.
> > Package 'udev' isn't installed.  Any ideas?
>
> Strange. That sounds exactly like the behavior I get _with_ udev, but not
> without. I must say I'm out of my depth here. Maybe some modules get
> (un)loaded at the wrong times?
>
> Maybe someone else can suggest ways to debug this?

update: I think I may have found the problem.  Whenever booting into
Gnome, I got an error message that said "wrong permissions
for /dev/pmu".  I hunted around and found that the way to fix it is
"chown root:user /dev/pmu" then to add yourself to the video group.
Following a reboot, suspend and wake seem to be working again!

Interesting sidenote: I tried installing udev and it seems that udev
will "correct" the ownership of /dev/pmu so that it's "root:root" again,
which causes the black screen on wake problem again.  apt-get remove
udev, then chown'ing again as above solves that.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Sean