Re: Apt-installed kernel-image-2.6.8-power4 will not boot a PowerMac G4!!

On (29/09/04 18:11), Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> Nor would a self-compiled custom 2.6.6 stock Debian source!
>
> I've been tracking testing with Ethan Benson's stable-ish 2.4.18-newpmac for
> several months now and discovered quite early on that any version of yaboot
> newer than the proposed-update version, (I can't access the actual version
> number at the moment), would report that my kernel is too old for
> proper support and that Open Firmware may not not detect my boot device
> correctly.  Sure enough, this was the case, so I pinned yaboot at the
> proposed update version and was able to run ybin as often as I liked to
> add and remove image labels without any problems whatsoever. That was
> with stock 2.4 kernels.  I have since decided to upgrade to 2.6.6 or 2.6.8
> and have had NO JOY booting up with either. I thought perhaps it might be
> because of my old version of yaboot but I have upgraded it, run ybin,
> received the same warning message as before and continued to be unable to
> boot 2.6 kernels per se.
>
> This is quite a disapointment really :-( as is the lack of suggestions as to
> what to do! :-/
>
> Anyone any ideas at all?  Could it be that my Open Firmware version is too
> old?  I understand it is upgraded with OSX upgrades, I am still running Jaguar
> (10.2.2).  I have version 4.3.3f2 flash-upgradeable BootROM (built 21st Dec 01)
> and OpenFirmware version 3.
>
> Could it be that the newer yaboot needs to be run _by_ a newer kernel, before
> a newer kernel can be run at boot-time?  Now there's a catch-22 situation if
> ever I heard of one?

FWIW I'm running 2.6.7-powerpc-smp on my sid box, upgraded from 2.4.18
using aptitude.  I seem to recall I had to get a later version of yaboot
at the time (it was a while ago) and the current version I'm using is 1.3.13-2.
Perhaps you shoud try installing a stock powerpc kernel and see if that
boots?

Regards

Clive

--
Byte-Night 2004 ... helping the young homeless .. please visit:
https://www.bmycharity.com/clive