Boot hangs on stock make-kpkg installation

Dear Folks,

I've tried (and failed) to compile and install a kernel for some time now on a 7600 w/ a G3 upgrade card. Each time, the boot hangs, with the only recovery being a hard power cycle or the 3-finger salute of Cmd-Ctrl-<|.

Here are the (typical) steps I have taken:

# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig    # default values accepted, _no_ changes.
# make dep
# make-kpkg --arch powerpc --revision 5 --arch_in_name kernel_image
# cd ..
# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18-pmac_5_powerpc.deb
# hmount /dev/sda9
# hcopy -r /boot/vmlinux-2.4.18 \
             untitled:System:\ Folder:Linux\ Kernels:vmlinux-2.4.18
# cp /boot/System.map-2.4.18 /usr/src/System.map-2.4.18
# gzip System.map-2.4.18
# hcopy -r /usr/src/System.map-2.4.18.gz \
                   untitled:System\ Folder:Linux\ Kernels:sysmap.gz
# humount
# shutdown -r now

Upon selecting the new kernel in BootX, the screen flashes to this text, without the customary penguin icon in the top
left that is part of the normal boot sequence (apologies if the spacing is not exact, I had to copy it manually):

Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.4.18

linked at       0xc0000000
framebuffer at  0x81801000 (phys), 0xd0801000 (log)
klimit          0xc0287000
MSR             0x00000072
HID0            0x8010c0ac
ICTC            0x00000000

pmac_init(): exit
id_mach(): done
MMU:enter
MMU:hw init
hash:enter
hash:find piece
hash:patch
hash:done
MMU:mapin
MMU:setio
MMU:exit
xmon uses screen and keyboard
setup_arch: enter
setup_arch: bootmem
arch: exit

I won't use HTML in email, but all of the words 'MMU:' are brightly bolded, as if through a pager program. The hard drive then pauses for a few seconds, accesses for a few seconds, and then becomes inactive.

Google led me to someone who had near identical text at boot when trying to compile in PCMCIA support, which I am not
attempting to do.  A check through all of the options presented in the defaults of 'make menuconfig' revealed no
apparent inclusions of PCMCIA support.

One thing that was suggested in that case was to change the video settings, so I"ve tried all combinations of +/- 'No
Video driver' , +/- 'Force video settings', and 'video=offb' / 'video=ofonly' / 'video=atyfb' in the BootX settings. I'm using an ATI video card. Some of those combinations worked even less. I suspect the video may be a blind alley because the boot is not progressing at all past that initial text.

I could not find anything in the make-kpkg documentation that suggested that oldworld PPC's needed any special extra
steps, aside from the standard (for BootX) step of copying the kernel and system map to the booting HFS partition.  On a
hunch, I tried other sysmaps, with no difference noticeable.

Am I grossly misunderstanding the make-kpkg process? Or perhaps the BootX process? The compilation and installation both seem to proceed without any show-stopping errors.

Peter Rooney
#1, Wits End
Buckleberry