Considering to buy a PowerBook G4 or waiting for PowerBook G5...

Hello Debian PowerPC folks,

I actually own an Apple iBook 2.2 (2001) running Debian GNU/Linux sid
very well. I use this notebook for most of my personal tasks and also as
development platform in the office I work for (iBook is connected via
adaptor to an external VGA monitor).

Three years passed since I bought my iBook and now I'm considering to
sell it in favor of a PowerBook G4 17" which here in Italy should cost
around 2800 EUR.

As far as I heard voices about the upcoming release of the Apple
PowerBook G5 I would like to wait before buying a new portable device,
G5 power pushes the PowerBook fare beyond the G4, the price should be
hopefully nearly the same.

Of course my G4 or G5 will run Debian GNU/Linux and I would use this
notebook to completely replace my actual x86 workstation (I'll consider
to connect it via DVI to my external LCD monitor) so I would like to ask
you folks on how well the 17" G4 can be used as an all-around Desktop
computer, workstation and developer platform?

Furthermore I'm interested in more detailed infos regarding the upcoming
G5. Are there release dates yet or other notable details?

Thanks in advantage for feedback.
Best regards,

 I.

--
   .''`.   Ivo Marino <eim@mentors.debian.net>
  : :' :   irc.FreeNode.net chan #debian-mentors