Re: Kismet & monitoring

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 10:25:11AM -0700, Adam Done wrote:
> FATAL: Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl or use the newer style
> 'mode monitor' command.  This typically means that the drivers have not
> been patched or the correct drivers are being loaded. See the
> troubleshooting section of the README for more information.
>
> I just got my wirless network up over the weekend and been needing to
> check some security with kismet but I don't know if I am supposed to put
> the airport card in monitor mode and if so I have not found anything
> under iwconfig.

The orinoco driver doesn't have monitor nor scanning support for cards with
8.xx firmware (which OS X flashes on the card (on update, but also on
boot I believe).
I have disabled the firmware check in the 0.15rc2 drivers (far better
than stock kernel), I have scanning support now, but monitor support
breaks immediately (and then one knows the reason why it was disable for
8.xx firmware).

See also:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5017450&forum_id=11432

Paul