Re: missing udev permissions

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:41:15PM -0500, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I believe the following devices are missing
> from  /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions (udev, Version: 0.031-2, sarge
> install with kernel-image-powerpc-2.6.8):
>
> adb:root:users:0660
> pmu:root:users:0660
> input/event*:root:users:0660
>
> I needed them to be able to use "fnset" as user, and pbbuttons-setupenv
> suggested them as well.
>
> Also I'm not sure into which group these files belong as I don't really know
> any deeper details about the devices. (And I am a little tired as well ;)

I honestly cannot suggest allowing regular users to access /dev/adb. It
is a raw interface directly onto the bus, and you can really mess up
stuff if you misuse it. The code does try to prevent a few things by
paying a little attention to what you send, but the code for it is most
certainly not written with user access in mind.

I understand that several utilities like fnset and trackpad use it
anyway, but I still think it's a bad idea to allow users full access.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com