Re: java

Pascal Chenevas-Paule ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm newbie in debian-ppc (I bought my first mac : an IbookG4 09 Sept) and
> programming. Whitch I have need to programming in java on debian ?

Here is your checklist:
1 - a text editor
2 - a Java Compiler
3 - a Java Debugger
4 - a Java Virtual Machine

As an alternative to the points 1,2 and 3, you could use an IDE, that is a 3
in 1, you have all 3 pieces with a single product.

Your main problem is the VM:

Java + linux (be it debian or others) + ppc is an unfortunate combination,
because there isn't a complete java 2 VM that officially supports this kind
of platform. You can try with gcj or kaffe or other OSS efforts, but, AFAIK,
none of these currently implements full java 2 compliance. However if you
need only java 1.1, gcj and kaffe are two good starting points (mutually
exclusive, gcj compiles for your platform while kaffe offers a VM).

If you need java 2 then IBM offers several java 2 VMs running on Linux for
iSeries and pSeries, which I seem to recall are similar to PPCs and may work
on your system too (do not bet on this however):

https://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/lxdk/lxdk-p

If you go for the IDE, that would simplify you the work. jEdit
(http://www.sf.net/projects/jedit) is one of the possible choices. I suppose
that JBuilder Foundation for Linux-i386 or MacOSX may work too
(http://www.borland.com), because it's written in java, so, as far as you
have a java 2 vm, it should start without noticing the difference (however
you'll have to tweak with the startup scripts to make them use your VM). You
can also try with NetBeans from Sun
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download-netbeans.html), but, again, you'll
need to trick the Linux-i386 version.

Good luck!