No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

Package: installation-reports

In addition to the already noted problems with 2.4 PowerPC boot floppies, I have two requests for modules to be included on the root or root-2:

1) The "change installation priority" menu item should be available *very* early in the install process. Best would be immediately after loading the root-2. Currently, it is not available up thru partitioning, at least.

2) The "hfs" and "hfsplus" (MacOS filesystem formats) filesystem modules should be available early on. This would make it much easier to save log files to a floppy or a zip disk. Also, they are *required* for support of booting with BootX, so that the kernel and initrd can be copied from /target/boot/ to the appropriate place on the MacOS partition prior to the reboot.

For the sake of completeness, here's a list of the other things I've found that currently don't work about the 2.4 powermac boot floppies:

3) Country chooser is called before loading root-2, so it hangs trying to do a "grep US" on a file that is on root-2, but should be on root.

4) the "ofonlyboot" floppy never switches to text-mode screen. It reads and ejects the boot floppy. But, since the text mode screen never appears, it's impossible to proceed further. This happens on both my test machines, the beige G3 tower, and the 6500.

5) It never finds my disk. It gets all the way to partitioner without loading either the "mesh" driver or the driver for my PCI IDE controller card.

For the record, I do not have any of these problems with installing via BootX using the latest businesscard CD. Of course, for problems 3 and 4 this is a trivial statement.

Also for the record, these problems occur when using the "net-drivers" floppy. I have not tried to use the "CD-drivers" floppy.

I would consider problems 3 and 5 to be "show stoppers".

Life would be *much* easier if 1 and 2 were fixed.

Since the "boot" floppy works on my hardware, I consider problem 4 to be lower priority than the rest -- though others, for whom the "boot" floppy doesn't do the job, may reasonably disagree.

Enjoy!

Rick