Re: nVidia 24bit color suport?

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:55:23AM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 03:17:05PM +0000, jjbenham@chicagoguitar.com wrote:
> > Besides signing a petition to nVidia what can I do to help? I know c (but have never written a driver) and am in the process of learning assembly. Is there anything I can do? where should I start?
> Switching X to 24bpp?
> Look for DefaultDepth in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and set it to 24

The default depth is/was set to 24. If I run xdpyinfo it tells me that
depth:    24 planes

This has to be incorrect. X thinks it is running in 24 bit but my eyes
tell me otherwise. Every high color picture I look at has color rings as
if I was only seeing cheap 8 bit color. The exact same pictures look
SO much better on anouther computer that I know is running 24 bit.

fbset gives me a response that it is running at 8 bit:

mode "1024-768-116"
	# D: 100.000 MHz, H: 93.985 kHz, V: 116.318 Hz
	geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
	timings 10000 16 16 16 16 8 8
	rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

I think that the problem is because it is really using just the openframe buffer. I am using the "nv" driver from xfree86 but the openframebuffer driver will not let me as far as I know change the color depth. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Jeremiah