Re: Howto: Enable Gnome Sound on iMac?

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:58, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> How do I enable Gnome sound so I can play audio CDs and MP3 files on my
> iMac? I've enabled the sound server on startup item from the "Sound"
> preference menu item, but Gnome says /dev/dsp doesn't exist. What is my
> next step? Thanks.

                [ ... ]

I'd *guess* that this is a permissions problem: If you're not part of
the group that owns /dev/dsp you probably get this error.

$ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 3 Jun 11 20:49 /dev/dsp

So in the above example one has to become a member of group audio as a
non-root user to hear sound. Probably.

adduser <non-root-user> audio

Profile: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

3 more reasons for Linux: