Re: How to boot w/o initrd?

Hi,

Matthew T. Atkinson writes:

> To me it looks like yaboot is not loading the initrd

Precisely.  The yaboot command line does not support loading an
initrd.  You have to configure this in yaboot.conf.

What I do when I play around with new kernels is the following: I put
the stanza

image=/vmlinux.new
        label=new

into /etc/yaboot.conf and re-run ybin.  If I install those new kernels
from Debian packages made with kernel-package, I also put the line

do_symlinks=No

into /etc/kernel-img.conf.  Before a reboot, I check that /vmlinux.new
points to my new kernel and /vmlinux and /initrd.img point to the
known good stuff.

> > There are larger console fonts, such as Sparc 12x22.
>
> I don't suppose you know the kernel option to disable the fb device,
> do you?  Then at least I might be able to read more of what the
> Debian kernels have to say and the console :-).

You are thinking VGA console here, aren't you?  I'm afraid that this
is not an option for PowerPC hardware at all.  The framebuffer console
is the only way of writing stuff to the video hardware.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!