Re: Linux on a Motorola PowerStack

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:31:32PM +0000, Michael Rex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on a Motorola PowerStack. A quite
> challenging task so far. The machine doesn't have a CD-ROM, nor do I
> have a keyboard for it. So I'm stuck with doing a netinstall using the
> serial console.
>
> Accessing the PowerStack via serial console works, I have a DHCP server
> set up to provide the kernel image to boot the PS from. I didn't find
> much documentation on that topic, but what I found says that I have to
> use yaboot. Well, the PS fetches yaboot from the server, fetches the
> yaboot.conf and then tries to load the kernel. And that's where it
> stops.

If i remember well, the powerstack is a prep machine, and thus doesn't run
yaboot.

Just netboot the powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd file, and you should be
dropped directly in the debian-installer. If this doesn't work, fill a bug
report against debian-installer. If it works, please go to /root, and fill an
installation report from the template found there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther