Re: 2.6.8.1-kernel on Powerbook G4?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:19:31PM +0200, Timo Reimerdes wrote:

| Problems I have:
| * no working console on local login: "respawning too fast issue"

| Questions:
| * How to get console working again? I can login via ssh but wont get a single
| prompt locally. I tried google for around a month now... none of the hints
| helped me.

I saw this issue on a couple machines (x86) while I was tinkering with
them.  It was a little bit frustrating for me because the problem ws
"intermittent".  I eventually figured it out.  Sometimes on that
little 486 I would disable devfsd (this was before udev was available)
because cups would take forever to start because devfsd would fork an
excessive number of modprobe processes.  Then I couldn't get a local
login because /dev/tty1 (etc.) didn't exist.  When devfsd was running,
however, /dev/tty1 was a symlink to /dev/vc/1 and getty would open the
console.  Could this be the cause of your problem?  Make sure the
device specified in /etc/inittab exists.
For example, this line tells getty to use /dev/tty1
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1 -f /etc/issue.linuxlogo
Likewise, this line says to use /dev/vc/1
    1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 vc/1 -f /etc/issue.linuxlogo
(you probably won't have the '-f /etc/issue.linuxlogo' in your
inittab)

HTH,
-D

--
 "Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a behavior issue."
                                                       --Steve Jobs