Re: running linux under Mac OS X

are you just trying to run command line programs? then
they are most likely ported or easily compiled on
macosx without any emulation

remember that macosx basically is darwin which is a form
of unix

google for your favourite program ported to macosx.
i use wget, smbclient etc etc. also xmms works, gimp
is great.

theres not a whole lot of reason to attempt to emulate
linux. unless you want to run a program which is a binary
only. in which case youll also need cpu level emulation

Dean

Said wrote:
Hi,

 Is it possible to run linux on top a mac os X system?

There are some programs that only run under linux which I need for my work. But most of my work is done under Mac OS X (on an iBook G3 700). I already installed a debian system on my iBook (but erased it since it was not very parctical to switch from a system to another).

I don't need Xwindows although beeing able to launch X11 application from linux that connect to my apple X11 server would be helpful. And I don't need any fancy hardware gestion (mouse, keyboard, DVD, USB, Firewire...). I juste need to be able to launch some programs that run under linux in a command line and of course being able to read the result (files).

 Thanks in advance.

BTW, my question was inspired from the project: MOL http://www.maconlinux.org/ . Searching the web for "linux on mac OS X" only gives pages that explain that linux can run on a Macintosh...

--
WWW: http://dean.bong.com.au  LAN: http://www.bong.com.au