Problems with IDE master/slave settings on Blue & White

Hi,

I've got linux on a pb5300, G3-266, but the Blue & White gives
me problems.

Since I guess I have one of those first motherboards where the
second ide (Ultra ATA) doesn't work well, I try to install cdrom
as well as 40Gb disc on the first ide. The jumper settings that work best
for OS9 are (I can boot from cdrom AND hd)

Disk: CS (carrier select) +Master
cdrom: Slave

When trying to boot from linux cdrom, I get into Open Firmware 3.1.1
and it says "default catch". The system freezes. Here OS 9 works well,
no problem.

I have tried another setting, where the cdrom boots, but ... it doesn't
see the harddisk:

disk: CS + Master
cdrom: CS + Slave

I have the same problem with os X, install dies away, without saying anything.

I know there are memory issues, but I use one 64Mb pc100sdram that should be ok. With another chip, I have generated the message "drawrect: cannot find procedure" I guess at that moment there is something wrong with the ROM, where this kind
of procedures reside...

I should first resolve the ide settings.... and be able to boot from both cdrom and disk
on the same ide bus.  Or is that impossible with IDE?

+++++++++++++++
Now, the things that might be interesting on my motherboard: (400mhz)
Apple Computer C(opyright) 1998
820-0987A

I don't see a word like "REV A" or "REV B"....

Inside the metal case, at the bottom-front I see:  805-2071B
The harddisk: (I guess this is OK...)
Maxtor 3.5 Series Diamond Max Plus 8
40Gb
+12V  790mA