Re: how do I get a Sid package on a Woody system?

Sean Schertell wrote:
On Saturday 31 July 2004 06:29 am, Eric D. Hedekar wrote:

I've been wanting to get AMSN messenger
(http://amsn.sourceforge.net/) running on my woody system however the
.deb package is only available throught the Sid package list.  I
don't know how to program or compile from source code and when I
attempt to install the package manually I get stuck in dependency
hell.  Is there any way to alter the apt-get package list so as to be
able to get this program?  Thanks.

Sure, no sweat. Just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and wherever you see the word "stable", change it to "unstable". Then "apt-get update", then "apt-get install the_package_you_want". After your done, don't forget to change your source.list back to the way it was and apt-get update again.

But I think there's an even easier way. Try this before trying the method above:
apt-get install -t unstable the_package_you_want

If you want to keep your system running stable, that's probably not a good idea. Most sid packages depend on the newer libc, so you'll get that, and a bunch of other updated packages (X packages in particular, since the division of X into packages has changed substantially between woody and sarge), so even if you just ask for that one package, you'll probably have to install a signficant number of other packages. In that case, you might check www.apt-get.org, or just consider upgrading to sarge (it should be the new stable RSN).

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net