Newbie: Help with Debian on an indigo clamshell ibook

Greetings

I have just installed Debian onto my G3 clamshell ibook. Yellowdog was
bugging me and I wanted to run XFCE4. I resorted to installing Woody
3.0r2 and then installing XFCE4, Synaptic, Firefox and a couple of
other apps from sarge.

I want to upgrade the kernel to something newer than 2.4.18 : I also
haven't been able to get sound working properly on this machine -
Yellowdog did it fine!

I tried to install kernel-image-2.6.7 but synaptic told me that I
needed to reconfigure my bootloader so that it can install kernel
images : and to be honest, I have no idea what that means.

Could someone please suggest the necessary steps to load a newer
kernel onto this machine, and configure it so that I can play sound. I
have searched through the archives but I haven't found the specific
information I'm after: so I thought I'd ask...

What do I need to do? I would just like kernel 2.6.7 and a working
sound system under XFCE4. How do I go about doing it?

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's patience and assistance.

--
Matthew Prouse, Trainee Economist & MandrakeMag Editor,
URL - http://mandrakemag.tux.com.au