Re: invalid ELF header

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, dylan wrote:

> greetings:
>
> i have been running debian-stable (woody) for the last year or so on my 1998
> PB G3 (with a 500mhz G4 installed)... and have been noticing some strange
> errors after the last few apt-get upgrade cycles...
>
> after libmysqlclient10 was installed, ld reported:
> libmysqlclient10.x.x.so is not an ELF file, wrong magic bytes at the start
>
> anyone have any ideas about this?

 If it is dma related, you need to get a new copy of the file while dma
is turned off, in case the existing version has been corrupted. I had a
situation once where "dma problems" corrupted a file that was being
read.  No, it wasn't a stock debian or kernel.org kernel, and there was
a lot wrong with it, but the box mostly worked until it was time to fsck
'/'.  After that, there wasn't very much left.  So, if this is similar
to your problem, it can go pretty deep.

 If you are able to fsck '/' on your next boot, it might be enlightening
(or very disheartening if you lose a lot, so don't jump in to this!).

 Other possibilities are memory deciding to give up, and disk errors (I
never found a reliable memory tester for ppc, but smartmontools might be
able to test the drive).  Probably using 'file' on the library should be
your first step, to see if it seems ok now (i.e. transient errors).

Good luck!

Ken
--
/dev/hda13 has gone 36777 days without being checked, check forced.