Re: can't read and write partitions

Michael Schmitz wrote:
hda: hda: status error: status=0x2 {DeviceFault}
hda: drive not ready for command
ide0: reset: master: error(0x0a?)

The disk seems to be dead. At least, the IDE controller thinks so.

Or it might not be. I've seen similar behavior - not on a PPC system, but an HP 1u rack system (just today actually), where both drives were installed on the same IDE bus, and the guy doing the install thought it was OK to use "cable select". The drives both spun up, but only one appeared to the bootloader. The kernel managed to boot, but got _very_ confused afterward - apparently due to both drives trying to respond to commands. I'd say make sure that, if the drive is on the same ATA bus, to make sure that it's set as slave. If you don't know what cable select is for, you should NEVER NEVER NEVER use it!

Just thought my experience might come in useful.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net