Re: AmigaONE && Debian (unstable?)

Sven Luther wrote:
On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:14:28PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:

Since I'm no kernel hacker I'm not the guy to bug about this. Like I
said, I can help with patches to kernel-package and amiga-fdisk. Kernel
is not my field. I know MAI themselves were working on porting the 2.6
kernel, but I haven't heard a single word from them for almost a year.

Supposedly, it was two or three months from being sent to private
testers in January, but we both know about the personnel changes since
then.  The 2.4 port still has issues with DMA which make it unready for
mainstream.

<troll mode>
huh, and i thought it was the hardware who had a DMA problem.
</troll mode>

Sorry, couldn't resist :), no offense intented, i think this whole issue
is more of a painfull mess, but let's not talk about this here.

I don't see ANY damn reason why you need to drag that debate in here, but let's just say certain other OSes doesn't have a problem marking DMA buffers as non-cacheable.

It's stated pretty explicitly in the northbridge documentation that this is how it needs to work, saying the hardware is buggy because it follows its own documentation seems a TAD silly to me.

But you can't help it, can you? Every time someone mentions the AmigaOne it has to be "not very stable the time (two years ago, was it?) I saw it" and so on. Yes, we've had some Linux problems. Quite a few, actually. But most of that seems to come from MAI and Eyetech wanting to get everything for free, and not doing anything to actively support the development of the Linux kernel.

Yes, I know at least some things about the personell changes since then. But I didn't know they lost their entire kernel development division ;-)

And about the amiga-fdisk patch. I'll send it soon enough. But since it doesn't affect classic Amiga how is it to be verified? And considering your own bug report is now 255 days old (and counting), what good do you suppose it will do? I did have a discussion with cts some time in October, but he couldn't test it then, so...

And technically I shouldn't be the one to file the bug-report, since I don't even have OS4 running myself, yet. Hopefully I'll have a CD within a few days. It would be nice to get it properly tested.

About parted:
I can take a quick look. The patch should be fairly trivial (just one more type of block to avoid deleting, and one pointer in the RDSK that needs to be updated if the RDB is to be restructured). I attached the patch I made to this email so you can also compare to what you did in parted. While I was at it I did put in some more work on amiga-fdisk, but maybe parted is a better place to spend time. At the very least amiga-fdisk should be compiled for more than m68k and ppc (I see an old outstanding on that one. I myself use it with the emulator "Amithlon" on my triple-boot PC here in the office from time to time), and it should be compilable with GCC 3.3.

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/