Re: Compiling 2.6.5 on iMac

According to Alex Solla, on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:44:39 -0700,

>On Jun 7, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Alex Solla writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to configure and install kernel-source-2.6.5 on a Summer
>>> 2001 iMac DV.
>>
>> Any reason for not using the prebuilt kernel-image packages?  Any
>> reason for not using 2.6.6?
>>

>None, really. (2.6.5 is the most recent kernel source in the sarge
>distribution)  Bandwidth is cheap--I'll give that a try.
>
>>> I'm trying to optimize for speed, so I'm trying to get rid of any
>>> hardware drivers for hardware that isn't installed.
>>
>> I'd recommend that you use the kernel from kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc.
>> The kernel binary itself is very small, and the drivers that you need
>> to get running can be loaded as modules.
>>

>Perhaps you could help me set up usb support for my imac (or point me
>towards some documentation).  I tried several usb settings (including
>leaving everything in), but when I boot from that kernel, my usb mouse
>and keyboard don't even light up.  When I left everything on, the
>installer reported an error 1 about whiteheat.o, so I ditched that
>driver.

For a working USB, you need the following modules :
usbcore,
ohci_hcd (at least on ibook, this one may be hardware specific)
usbhid (2.6.6) or hid (2.6.5), this is the one that light up my mouse.

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail