Re: serial printer and old world

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 06:00:03PM +0200, karim wrote:
> I have tried to make work a laser writer 8/600 and a style writer 2 a
> pmac 8200 (7200) and failed on a yellow dog at first, and then on the
> debian.

Are you sure about the model number on that printer? I can't find any
pages that refer to an 8/600. The stylewriter2 is a known printer that
at least used to work in linux.

> I would like to know if anybody managed to make this serial printers
> works on an old world mac, or if it's hopeless.
> I am certainly missing something though.

I know people got the older stylewriters working, but I haven't heard
any mention of them in several years. There used to be a program you
had to run to talk the funny serial protocol they use.

Most of the LaserWriters (other than the Personal and Select models)
prefer LocalTalk to normal serial, which may be your problem.

Did you see the information on this page:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Apple-StyleWriter_II

It should be helpful. You might want to poke around the rest of that
website as well.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com