2.6.6 kernel - which one?

Hi.. I've been trying to get a 2.6.6 kernel going at my end... I first downloaded the stable 2.6 kernel from kernel.org, compiled it and tried booting. It gets to the white screen immediately after the boot prompt screen and stops... so it doesn't boot. I then searched and found the 2.6.6 kernel (from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/kernel-source-2.6.6) with Debian patches for powerpc, downloaded it and tried compiling. I get the following error while doing a make modules:

  CC [M]  drivers/net/ns83820.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `drivers/net/tg3.c', needed by `drivers/net/tg3.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

Is there another 2.6.6 kernel that I should be using? Or is there a way to get the kernel I obtained from kernel.org to boot? Please let me know.

Thanks,
nirmal