Re: thinking about installing Debian

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 09:54, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> > I just finished using the beta installer and I was happily surprised by
> > how easy it was to install onto my Powerbook. Of course this isn't an
> > old world machine, so I don't know how smooth it is with those.
> >
> I'm downloading the beta installer for my NewWorld iMac. Have you
> gotten X installed? (Anyone with an iMac and a working XFree86 config
> they'd like to share?)

First, make sure you reply to the Debian-ppc
<debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org> lists.  Not that I don't mind the mail
personally, but it'll be more useful on the list.

I didn't have much luck with the beta 4 installer.  Specifically the
yaboot installer failed miserably and was a pain in the ass to fix.  The
May 24th 2004 images for Sid worked wonderfully for me in this
respect.   I would recommend trying the daily built images or at least
contacting the debian boot mailing list.

As far as X is concerned.  I copied someone else's X config file and
used it to configure x.  In debian you may (or may not) want to let
debconf manage your x configuration which means you can use something
along the lines of:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to configure your xserver.

Lakin Wecker