Re: thinking about installing Debian

> The one item preventing me from trying Debian is the X-Windows
> configuration horrors.

Well... I dunno about "horrors" ;-)  I think people tend to overstate these
things about Debian installation.  The thing is, it won't auto-detect your
hardware.  So that just means you have to edit your XF86Config-4 manually,
that's all.  If you have a Mac, then it's usually as simple as finding a
Linux user that has the same model Mac as you do, and copying-n-pasting parts
of their XF86Config-4 into yours.  Like I said, it takes a bit of work to get
everything working because it won't auto-detect your hardware.  But you only
have to do it once, and in my opinion... it's really worth it to have a fast,
solid Debian system instead of (in my experience) a remarkably easy to
install, but notoriously flaky, slow, and "clunky" Red Hat 9 system that's
been sloppily ported to PPC.   Talk about horrors!  If you're running YDL
right now, I dare you to try and upgrade KDE to 3.2 ;-)  Go ahead, try!  (heh
heh, good luck!)  With Debian, I literally typed "apt-get install kde", and
about 20 or 30 minutes later it was done.  Sorry to sound like a raving
lunatic... it's not like Debian is the Second Coming or anything.  It's just
that for me, Debian works very reliably where other distros (particularly
YDL) did not.

> Are there any PPC-oriented FAQs or tips that can
> ease one into X on Debian?
Not sure about X specifically (just gotta find the specs for your harware and
put 'em in your config... not so difficult), but there's lot's of good info
on the links on this page:
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Cheers,
Sean