Re: debian boot CDs & G5

Colin Watson writes:

> ... or patch the serial console driver in some way that doesn't
> break too badly on either ...

We tried this, but our fixes didn't work.  And there have been
discussions among the kernel hackers recently, with no substantial

> 27MB more space on powerpc CD 1,

AFAICS, the SMP kernels run fine on UP machines.  There have been
claims that this comes at a performance hit, if someone convinces me
otherwise, we could drop all UP flavours and rename the SMP flavours,
omitting the -smp in the name.  This would save more than 50MB.

> It's not cheap at all.

As it stands, it's the price to pay for supporting the major flagships
of the PowerPC architecture out of the box.

Regards, Jens.

J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!