glibc cross-compile

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:09, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> (glibc cannot easily be cross-compiled/bootstraped,
> this is the root of the problem, the glibc maintainer
> doesn't consider that as an important feature).

Ever wonder why?

When you do a native build, glibc itself is involved
in the production of glibc. So, via the glibc functions
for writing a file, it could recognize itself and add
some code. You'd never see this code in the source!

All along, we thought the compiler might be backdoored.
Nobody ever thought to consider that the shared C library
might be, for example, changing the behavior of unmodified
PAM modules as they run.