Re: Starting X on PPC RS6K box running 2.4.25

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:33:25AM -0800, Daniel Narkis wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> The only way I could start the installation is by
> using your kernel + initrd of 2.4.25 - from there it
> goes to network installation. I didn't try to hack it
> to install from the offical Woody CDs I got and I was
> quite happy that it installs at all.

Cool, but ...

> If I remember well I think I got the choice between
> XFree86 v4 or V3 and I took v4.
> Just a few minutes ago I got into a procedure that
> mentined that V4.1 is broken and he returned back to
> v3.3.6. Seems that v4.2.1 is also so I think I'll
> follow him.

Why were you proposed 4.1 ? This is debian/woody, and has not been well
tested and should be considered to be broken. XFree86 4.3.0 is now in
both sarge and unstable, so this is the one you should have tested.

> "The installed Matrox MGA200 has problems with the
> XFree 4.1 mga driver. Black widgets may result. You
> may try XFree 4.1 with fbdev (horrible resolution and
> refresh). But it may be wiser to switch back to XFree
> 3.3.6 which is also on the distribution."
> http://www.math.tu-clausthal.de/~matsa/linux/rs6k/

Mmm, who wrote that ? And fbdev should not have horrible resolution and
refresh, just it doesn't has hardware acceletation. Still, please try
4.3.0 out, and fill/followup on the bug report if it still shows the problem.

XFree86 4.3.0 seems to work ok on G400 and matrox millenium II on
powerpc, at least this is my experience.

Friendly,

Sven Luther